As the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic continues, Nazarene Compassionate Ministries is committed to acting in compassion as we respond together throughout the crisis, including the long-term needs that will go beyond immediate risks and dangers.
Together, we can continue to be formed by Christ to respond in love, care, patience, devotion, and boldness.
The Latest Update on COVID-19 Response
Across six continents, Nazarene churches are already partnering with NCM to respond to the global COVID-19 pandemic in love.
So far, COVID-19 response ministries include:
- Food and hygiene distributions for those who are high-risk, isolated, or low-income
- Mental health and social care
- Spiritual support and guidance
- Extra financial support for low-income individuals and families
- Prevention awareness programs to mitigate the spread of the virus
- Support for children who normally attend child development centers
In addition, NCM has so far established the following:
- COVID-19 Community Response Program to support church-led projects
- This includes the distribution of food and other vital resources to vulnerable and isolated people
- Download guidelines on how to safely engage in distribution projects in your community in English, Spanish, French, or Portuguese
- COVID-19 Direct Assistance Program to support income replacement for vulnerable people
- COVID-19 Child and Family Assistance Program to support food distribution to families associated with Child Development Centers and beyond
The Church of the Nazarene is truly a global church and is uniquely positioned to share resources and strategies as well as amplifying existing projects. Compassionate response can be mobilized through child development centers in 38 countries, WASH (water, sanitation, and hygiene) projects at 310 churches in 15 countries, more than 1,400 people trained to respond to disasters, and more.
Nazarene churches all over the world are responding to the COVID-19 pandemic with the love of Christ. Nazarene Compassionate Ministries will continue assessing the situation to determine the best way to support those who are vulnerable, who will inevitably feel the impact of this virus the most. You can find updated stories of their response at:
* NCM's Blog
Read about COVID-19 response here.
* NCM Magazine
The current issue featuring the church’s response to COVID-19 was released in June 2020. To read, or to sign up to receive NCM Magazine by mail or email, click here.
* Social Media
Follow NCM on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook for more stories.
You can actively love others in Jesus’ name, too. Here are a few ideas:
- Practice physical distancing, but maintain social connectedness. Though we are encouraged to be physically isolated, that does not mean we are alone. Find creative ways to connect socially. Some ideas include (but are not limited to) calling friends or family members regularly, checking in on those who are alone, scheduling virtual dinners, sending notes of encouragement, and participating in virtual bible studies and church services.
- Safely engage in distribution to those who are vulnerable. If it is safe to do so, organize distributions of food or non-food items for those who are vulnerable in your community. That might include the high-risk individuals who are isolating, those who have lost vital food support, or those who were vulnerable before the crisis began. For guidelines on how to organize safe distributions, click to download in English, Spanish, French, or Portuguese.
- Give to Nazarene Compassionate Ministries to help fund COVID-19 programs. This pandemic will cause hardship for a long time, even beyond when the danger is gone. Nazarene Compassionate Ministries is already establishing long-term plans with Nazarene leaders. These will remain fluid as the needs change in order to provide the care that is needed, when it is needed. Give Now.
- Pray. These are days where prayer should be the response to fear. Please pray for those who have lost loved ones to the virus, and those who are sick. Pray for those who are vulnerable and will lose crucial sources of income. Pray for the churches and leaders who are organizing responses. To send a prayer or note of encouragement through NCM, click here.
As coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to spread, Nazarene Compassionate Ministries is partnering with Nazarene churches to respond in the name of Christ. We encourage you as both churches and individuals to consider safe, creative, and imaginative ways to continue to be the hands and feet of Jesus.
Below, you can find resources to help you respond.
Guides for food and non-food distributions: The links below will download directly to your computer or mobile device.
- Document - Guidelines for Safe Relief Distribution During Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response
- Download PDF in English, Spanish, French, Portuguese
- PowerPoint - Guidelines for Safe Relief Distribution During Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response
- Download PPT in English, Spanish, French, Portuguese
Guides for Churches from the Humanitarian Disaster Institute:
- Preparing your church for Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Church Planning Template
- Communicating with your Church About COVID-19
- COVID-19 Spiritual First Aid
- How to Talk to Your Kids about COVID-19
- Ministering in a Time of COVID-19
- Caring for Wellbeing of Older Adults During COVID-19
Please remember: you and your church should always engage in a response in a way that follows the public health guidelines for your country.
Around the world, many schools and Nazarene child development centers are closing to slow the spread of the virus. Though many centers are continuing to provide food and resources for children, the nutritional, economic, and social impact of the pandemic is a great burden for those already a part of vulnerable communities, including children living in poverty and their families.
There are a few things for sponsors to note:
- First, your correspondence with the child you sponsor may be delayed. Since global mail systems are unpredictable, gathering and spending hard copies of letters may be delayed.
- You can always access your sponsorship info at any time by:
- Signing in to your sponsorship account online through the Child Sponsorship Portal, or
- Contacting us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 800.310.6362
- Finally, your sponsorship is needed now more than ever. Your monthly sponsorship will help provide support as children and their families recover from extra economic strain. Your relationship with the child you sponsor will provide the knowledge that they are loved and cherished no matter what.
As children of God, we are constantly seeking ways to respond with Christ’s love and compassion, and we won’t stop. Thank you deeply for your support through child sponsorship.